Desktop virtualization solutions
Unexpectedly high storage costs have delayed or derailed VDI projects at far too many companies. If you’re still in the planning stages of your first VDI project, you probably have a few surprises ahead of you on the storage side.
Achieve both Cost Savings and Management benefits with Desktop Virtualization
Compared to physical desktops, desktop virtualization initiatives promise to deliver both cost savings as well as end-point management benefits. Virsto removes the largest impediment to cost-effective VDI by reducing the cost of storage per virtual desktop by up to 70 percent and provides integrated provisioning wizards for VMware View that simplify and accelerate provisioning and patching thousands of high performance, thin-provisioned virtual desktops.
Virsto changes the economics of storage in VDI
Virsto addresses performance, thin provisioning, desktop provisioning and deployment, and cluster-awareness (i.e. HA support) by implementing a new virtual storage architecture – in the form of a storage hypervisor – that is specifically designed to handle the problems of VDI environments.
Virsto for VDI delivers the following benefits:
- Accommodates peak workloads for boot, login, and application storms without having to overbuild your storage.
- Thin-provisioning of all virtual disks while at the same time allowing those disks to run at the performance limit of the underlying storage hardware (whatever block-based storage you choose).
- Leverages scalable snapshot/clone technology that can provision thousands of desktops within seconds without consuming any additional storage capacity, while at the same time not imposing any performance impacts on any virtual disks, snapshots, or clones in use.
- Utilizes full support for HA environments where you may want to move VMs between hosts.
- Manages block-based storage at the VM level, making it much more flexible than storage virtualization solutions that operate at the LUN level – Virsto calls this “VM-centric storage”.
- Increases IOPS/spindle to reduce your spindle count by 30% or more to meet a specific IOPS requirement, resulting in at least a doubling of the desktop density that any given storage configuration can support.
Virsto is the most cost-effective way to address the storage requirements of VDI environments.